Parian marble. Found at Baiai in southern Italy. It formely belonged to the collection of Lord Hope and was donated to the National Museum by M.Embeirikos in 1924. The neck, head and right arm were restored by the famous italian sculptor A. Canova (1757-1822). Aphrodite is depicted standing , nude save for a richly draped himation which she retains with her left hand in front of her pudenda.
Version made in the 2nd c. AD of the type of the Syracuse Aphrodite, the original of which goes back to the 4th c. BC.